A lively discussion ensued at the January 28th Meeting, when Chairman Ken Lillie explained about his investigation at the Warwickshire County Records Office in to information about our Church St. Mary-the-Virgin. Records only appear about after King Henry 8th dissolved the Monasteries and created the Church of England between 1536 and 1541.
Peter Northover explained how his research into Saxon Bearley asked more questions than were answered, which will provide a great many possibilities for further work.
Derek Bull presented a letter from Mr Ron Amphlett who is researching his ties to Bearley through is ancestors. A thorough search will be conducted through our archive of maps and census records.
A collection of rare coins ranging from George 2nd, Napoleon III and right up to the 1930s were distributed around the room and made everyone wonder how many coins are buried in the land in around our village?
We welcome new members and guests to our next meeting which will be our AGM, held on Thursday 28th April 2016, starting at 7-30 pm at Bearley Village Hall.
Post Card Views of Bearley - Film Show
Everyone attending the October meeting of Bearley History Society were taken on a tour of Bearley, through the views shown from a collection of picture post-cards, some dating back to well over 100 years old. A quantity of post-cards had been scanned belonging to Simon Baughan from Wootton Wawen and these were projected on to the end wall of the Village Hall, allowing a much closer inspection to be visible. Images from 1965, 2004 and 2015 were shown has comparisons; which provided the basis for much inter active discussions. Graham Musson (archivist) recorded the comments which provided a valuable insight into how the village has developed. Where post cards showed cars, these were used approximately to date them. An interesting card showing a multiple view of Bearley Holiday Camp had a message written in the 1950s sent to a lady in Germany; describing how the writer was having an enjoyable working holiday near Stratford (in Middle England) harvesting apples and potatoes with 50 other young people. The locations for several shops, post office and social club were identified on what is now Bearley Green, by people who had lived in Bearley during the last 70 years. Refreshments were served which gave the opportunity for further discussion. Chairman Ken Lillie thanked everyone for attending and to Derek Bull for creating the presentation
Post Card Views of Bearley
A THEN & NOW comparison on how Bearley has changed (or not!) over the last 100 years or so. Images have been reproduced in colour on 7" X 5" photographic paper, making a booklet with 32 pages. With images of Bearley Camp (now Bearley Green), St.Mary's Church, Church Lane, Snitterfield Road, Old Snitterfield Road, Oak Tree Close & Grange Road; all taken as post card views.
Available for £6.99 contact email@example.com for further details